The Salkantay Inca Trail 4-day was created for those who do not have much time and want to enjoy this beautiful route to Machu Picchu in just 4 days. You will delight in visiting the most popular lagoon in Peru, Humantay; the sacred Nevado Salkantay, one of the most important Apus of the Incas and beautiful natural landscapes on the way to one of the 7 wonders of the world, Machu Picchu.
SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 4 DAYS
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA – LAKE HUMANTAY
We will start the Salkantay Inca Trail to Machu Picchu for 4 days. This day we will visit the beautiful Lake Humantay. We will spend the night in Soraypampa.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHAULLAY
This day we will cross the pass between the Apus Salkantay and Humantay and we will arrive at the High Forest. We will spend the night in Chaullay.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – LUCMABAMBA – HIDROELÉCTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES
Our walk will be through the High Forest where we will observe a great variety of flora and fauna; we will observe beautiful orchids and birds. We will pass through the towns of Playa Sahuayaco, Lucmabamba and Hidroeléctrica until we reach Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night in a Hotel.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
On the last day we will visit the wonder of the world, Machu Picchu. Our guide will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the Llaqta Inca where you will visit it for 2 hours. After this wonderful visit we will return to Cusco, taking with us beautiful memories.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA – LAKE HUMANTAY (START OF THE SALKANTAY INCA TRAIL)
Early in the morning, our transportation together with our guide will pick you up from your accommodation to start our adventure. We will travel for approximately 2 hours to the town of Mollepata where you will find restaurants to have breakfast and you will also find some stores to stock up on what you have not yet bought (rain poncho, repellent, sunscreen, etc.)
Then we will travel for 1 more hour to Challabamb where we will start the Inca Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu, in this place we will meet our chef and our muleteers who will accompany us throughout our adventure.
The first thing we will observe will be the Inca Canal, where we will arrive after 30 minutes of walking, then we will go to Soraypampa (3900 masl) where we will have a delicious lunch prepared by our experienced chef. In the afternoon we will have one of the most special visits of our adventure, we will go to the beautiful Humantay Lagoon where we will take beautiful photographs of amazing landscapes.
Finally we will return to Soraypampa where we will have a delicious dinner at tea time and where we will also spend the night.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Duration: 7-8 hrs
- Distance: 12 km
- Start Elevation: 3350 m./10990 ft.
- Highest Elevation: 4250 m./13943 ft.
- Camp Elevation: 3900 m./12861 ft.
Overnight in camp in Soraypampa
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHAULLAY
This day is considered the most challenging and longest of the Salkantay route. Despite being the most challenging, you will have beautiful views and experience the contrast between the Andes and the High Forest.
We will start the day energized by a cup of coca tea and a nutritious breakfast. We will ascend for approximately 4 hours to the Abra de Salkantay (4650 masl), the highest point of our trek, another of the most special places of our adventure, there we will experience the connection with nature and our tutelary Apus, the Salkantay and the Humantay .
After some time contemplating the beauty of nature, we will continue our route towards Wayraqmachay (3900 masl) where we will have a delicious lunch prepared by our chef. After lunch, our route will continue leaving the Puna behind and entering the high jungle, we will experience the change of landscapes, from the snowy mountains to warmer green forests, finally arriving at Chaullay (2850 masl), the second camp, where you can stock up. and rent a relaxing hot shower.
Before sleeping we will have a delicious dinner.
- Difficulty: Hard
- Duration: 10-11 hrs
- Distance: 22 km
- Highest Elevation: 4650 m./15255 ft.
- Camp Elevation: 2850 m./9350 ft.
Overnight in camp in Chaullay
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – HIDROELÉCTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES (END OF THE SALKANTAY INCA TRAIL)
This day will be much smoother and quieter despite being the second longest day of the hike.
In the morning we will start drinking coca tea and having breakfast, then we will say goodbye to our muleteer who will cross the Salkantay mountain again to return home.
Then, we will start our journey for the day, now, through the High Forest. The road will be flat, with ups and downs. Throughout the route you will witness a great variety of flora and fauna, beautiful orchids, parrots, native birds, passion fruit and coffee plantations. For lunch we will arrive at Playa Sahuayaco (2450 masl), where our chef will wait for us with everything ready.
Then we will continue, 2 hours to Hidroeléctrica. From where you will have 2 options for the last section of our walk: Continue the walk for 3 more hours along the train tracks to Aguas Calientes or do this section by train (33.00 USD, you must buy the ticket there). Upon arrival in Aguas Calientes, we will go to your hotel where after 2 camps you will sleep in a comfortable bed with clean sheets and you can take a relaxing hot shower. In the evening we will have a delicious dinner in a tourist restaurant.
- Difficulty: Hard
- Duration: 10 hrs
- Distance: 27 km
- Highest Elevation: 2850 m./9350 ft.
- Camp Elevation: 2000 m./6562 ft.
Overnight at Hotel in Aguas Calientes
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
Early in the morning our guide will pass by your hotel and then we will go to the bus station. We will board the CONSETTUR bus and for 30 minutes we will follow a zigzagging route until we reach Machu Picchu.
We will enter Machu Picchu and have a guided visit for approximately 2 hours through the most important places of the Inca Llaqta such as the agricultural sector, the urban sector, the enclosures, sacred sources, temples and the Intiwatana.
At the end of the guided tour, our guide will leave you in a strategic place from where you can explore on your own and take beautiful photographs.
When leaving Machu Picchu, you must board the CONSETTUR bus back to Aguas Calientes where you will have many options for a delicious lunch.
Finally, after lunch you will board the return train to Ollatnaytambo where our representative will be waiting to take you back to your hotel in Cusco.
END OF OUR SERVICES
TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT:
- You must consider that it will be necessary to line up to board the bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and the bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes depending on the high or low season. Our guide can give you suggestions on how to dose your time properly.
- Visit Machu Picchu is governed by a circuit programmed in only one direction with no option to return. From January 1, 2019, there is no re-entry to Machu Picchu, re-entry is only possible if your ticket includes Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, so it is recommended to go to the Inti Punku or Inca bridge, before starting your tour guided by Machu Picchu with prior coordination with your tour guide.
- Trains are subject to availability depending on the anticipated time of reservation or season.
- If your train schedule allows, we recommend visiting the Chavez Ballòn Museum, which is the Machu Picchu’ site museum, from 12:00 noon, admission is free, to enter you must only show your passport.
- Another place you can visit is the Butterfly House, where you can appreciate the growth stages of a butterfly from being a cocoon to an adult butterfly. The entry price is S /. 10.00.
- Transfer Cusco – train station of Ollantaytambo.
- The Transfer Cusco – Soraypampa.
- Transfer Ollantaytambo Train Station – Cusco.
- Professional Guide (English and Spanish)
- Entrance ticket to Salkantay National park.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- 03 breakfasts, 03 lunches, 03 afternoon snacks and 03 dinners. VEGETARIAN OPTION.
- Water (except for the first 04 hours of trekking).
- Camping equipment: Inflatable mattresses or mattresses (Therm A Rest or Rei), spacious EUREKA tents (02 people per tent)
- Kitchen equipment and expert chefs.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- Mules for transport of kitchen and camping equipment and up to 7 kilos of your personal items.
- 01 night hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Bus Ticket: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes.
- EXPEDITION Train Ticket: Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo.
- First aid Kit.
- Agency Services.
IT DOESN’T INCLUDE:
- Walking sticks (20.00 USD).
- Sleeping bag (20.00 USD.
- Breakfast on Day 1, lunch and dinner Day 4.
- Phone calls.
- Any other service not mentioned.
- Travel insurance.
- Entrance ticket for Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain: an additional 65.00 USD per person (Needs to be booked several months in advance)
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE TOUR:
- Bring your passport or identity document (DNI) (the same with which the reservation was made).
- Wear trekking shoes.
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho.
- Bring warm jacket.
- Wear T-shirts (quick dry)
- Wear comfortable trekking pants, shorts.
- Bring hat and gloves.
- Extra cash (Soles).
- Bring a 70 L backpack, sunscreen, and mosquito repellent.
- Your camera and extra batteries.
- It is only allowed to carry 7 kilos of luggage on the train.
- Book your tickets to the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in advance.
- Bring personal medications
- A bottle of water and snacks.
- Bring toiletries amd hand sanitizer
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- SALKANTAY INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU 4 DAYS AVAILABILITY
We operate Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu every day, there are no restrictions to hike through Salkantay trek just as Traditional Inca Trail.
- ABOUT THE PASSPORT
Personal information that you send us to book Salkantay Trek, must be the same Passport Information that you will show When you Visit Machu Picchu. If you want to update passport, you must bring the expired passport and the updated passport.
- ABOUT THE PAYMENT
When you confirmed your reservation through the web site or a sales agent, you can go to BOOKING POLICIES to get more information.
- DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
Salkantay Trek 4 days, is moderately demanding. There are many agents that make this trekking a challenge. Elevation, distances, and weather. So we kindly recommend you be prepared Physically and Mentally. We suggest a regular and moderate exercise routine to improve endurance and stamina. we want to give you a unique and unforgettable experience.
- ABOUT FOOD
There will be a professional chef who will prepare carefully every meal through all Salkantay Trek. If you have any restrictions, it is important that you have to send this information when you fill out your personal information. There is no extra fee for this option. it is important to know if you have food allergies if you are vegetarian or vegan to make a memorable experience for you. WE CANNOT ACCEPT CLIENTS WITH LIFE-THREATENING ALLERGIES
- PERSONAL MEDICATION
It is necessary that you must carry always your important medication, through all Salkantay Trek if you have some special sickness. If you have any allergies about food, smells, bites, etc. you have to carry allergy medicine. Important to carry your own Medication because our Staff is not allowed to medicate you. The first aid kit that we carry through the excursion will be basically: Oxygen, sore creams, bandages clean sanitizer injuries.
- WHEN I HAVE TO ARRIVE CUSCO?
It is recommendable to arrive at Cusco city a minimum of 02 days before the Excursion. You will have time to visit our office and visit This mystical and wonderful City of Cusco, we can offer you some extra Tours around the city, sacred valley, Maras moray, etc. Before you start Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
- WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT ALTITUDE SICKNESS?
Cusco city and Salkantay Trek are located in a High elevation, therefore it is recommendable to come a minimum of 02 days before. Altitude medications, before you start Salkantay Trek, will be essential therefore you must visit your doctor and get some altitude prescription.
- WHERE CAN I STAY IN CUSCO?
Our company works with some know Hotels in Cusco city and the sacred valley if you are coming some days before we can recommend you and hire some of the accommodations, we send you a list of hotels and you can choose. There other option to book accommodations, for example, Booking.com, hostelworld, TripAdvisor, etc; above all is important to book some accommodations near the Historic part of Cusco city and easy location.
- WHERE CAN I LEAVE MY LUGGAGE BEFORE WE START THE SALKANTAY 4 DAYS?
Many hotels and hostels offer free store service. In the case that they do not, we can store your things in the office as long as you list your belongings you are leaving. we will store your belongings until you come back from Inca Trail Hike.
- WHAT TYPE OF ELECTRICAL OUTLETS ARE USED IN PERU?
Most hotels and even homes in Peru now have the standard US outlet and also the South American outlet.
- HOW USEFUL ARE HIKING STICKS OR POLES?
Salkantay Trek is a challenge for many persons because there are many difficulties, between these challenges we have the mountains, elevation, distance, weather. We recommend taking a pair of hiking sticks if you do not have as much experience as hiking Hiking poles will reduce the impact on your knees and will help with your balance.
- HOW WILL BE THE WEATHER ALONG THE SALKANTAY TREK?
Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu 5 days is located in the Andes, high jungle, and rain forest. Weather can change according to the season. From May to October starts the dry season. From November to April starts the rainy season. Remember that in the dry season rain can come suddenly. It is unpredictable we must be prepared.
- WHAT DOES TREKKING CUSCO ADVENTURES DO TO CARE MULES?
Our company is against animal mistreatments. To Hike Salkantay Trek especially the two first days is necessary to hire Mules to carry our staff. As a result, we try to avoid heavyweight staff for the mules. Since the third day instead of use mules, we use transport.
- HOW CAN I GET POTABLE WATER ALONG SALKANTAY TREK?
The first day of Salkantay Trek will be necessary to get your own water, on the way until the first camping will be possible to buy bottles of water. Since the second day, our chef will boil tap water to provide you. It is not recommendable to drink tap water (unless you carry purification tablets) because water PH here can not be the same that you drink at home. So you can get stomach infections.
- CAN I GET MY OWN TEND?
Usually, when we have shared teams, passenger share tends with the same sex. When we have private tours two persons share a tend. Remember that if you want to have your own tend, there will be an extra fee of 30 USD.
“Ask first for availability 24 hours before the tour date, otherwise we can not ensure availability”
PRICE PER PERSON
|REGULAR SERVICE||Before: $499.00 USD
Now: $479.00 USD
PRICE PER PERSON
|Per Group of 2 Persons||Before: $719.00 USD
Now: $699.00 USD
|Group of 3 Persons||Before: $669.00 USD
Now: $649.00 USD
|Per Group of 4 Persons||Before: $619.00 USD
Now: $599.00 USD
|Group of 5 Persons||Before: $569.00 USD
Now: $549.00 USD
|Per Group of 6 Persons||Before: $539.00 USD
Now: $519.00 USD
|Group of 7 to + Persons||Before: $529.00 USD
Now: $509.00 USD
Take a look at our Kantu Blog, to learn more about the best destinations in Peru.
If you love adventure, visit our exclusive page for adventure: Trekking Kantu.